Volunteers Required: January 2019
Volunteer Roles: Clothing Store – Wood Street
Requires 1 person on a Monday 1pm – 3pm
1 person on a Friday 10.30am – 3pm
The Clothing Store operates a Request and Delivery system for asylum seekers at the Initial Accommodation Centre, Urban House. The Clothing Store also offers a Request and Collect system for local asylum seekers and new refugees.
The specific tasks at the Clothing Store Wood Street, include: –
- Accepting deliveries of donations.
- Sorting, and checking items are clean and in good repair.
- Folding and shelving clothing.
- Keeping the store clean, tidy and safe for people to volunteer.
- Making up request parcels, Emergency Packs and Welcome to the World packs.
Wood Street has limited heating, three floor levels and involves physically demanding work.
Volunteer Roles: Donation Store – Newstead Road.
Requires 3 volunteers on Tuesdays – 6.30pm – 8.30pm
Toys, Books, Games and Crafts
The Donations Store at Newstead Road stores toys, books, games and craft materials.
The specific tasks are: –
- To ensure that the donated items are suitable and appropriate for use.
- To sort the items into categories and age groups.
- To make sure items are clean, work properly and are safe to use.
- If items are not suitable to ensure they are appropriately re-cycled.
- To prepare items for the Initial Accommodation Centre.
- To make up requests for local asylum seekers and new refugees.
- To help run Fundraising Sessions.
Newstead Road has limited heating and involves some physically demanding work.
Volunteer Roles: Donation Store – Custom House – Bedding, Curtains and Household items
Requires 2 volunteers on Fridays from 12.30pm – 3pm
The prime aim of volunteers is to offer a welcome, hospitality and good neighbourliness to asylum seekers, refugees and each other.
The Donation Store at Custom House stores bedding, curtains, blankets and small household items.
The specific tasks are: –
- To sort and catalogue donations
- Ensuring donations are clean, suitable for purpose and safe to use.
- To prepare requests for local collection.
- To keep the store clean, tidy and safe.
Volunteering at Custom House involves some physically demanding work. Lift access is not always available.
Donation Stores – Volunteer Roles: Logistics Person
1 person Monday between 1pm and 3pm.
1 person Friday between 10.30am and 3pm. Or by arrangement.
The Clothing Store offers a Request and Delivery system to the Initial Accommodation Centre, Urban House and a Request and Collection system to local asylum seekers and new refugees.
We require a volunteer to deliver items to peoples’ homes, move items between the different buildings where donations are stored and to assist with re-cycling.
The volunteers will have to ensure they have the appropriate vehicle insurance cover.
This volunteering role will involve some physically demanding work.
Clothing Store Volunteer Role: Laundry Person
The Clothing Store requires one or two volunteers to launder a wide variety of clothing. On occasions we receive donations that have been stored for a while and need to be freshened up before they are given out to people.
Arrangements can be made for laundry to be delivered and collected.
Clothing Store Volunteer Role: Repair and alterations – clothes and toys
The Clothing Store has volunteering opportunities for people who enjoy repairing garments, altering curtains, dressing dollies and mending toys.
Suitable items can be delivered or collected.
Wakefield District City of Sanctuary operates an ethical recycling policy and aims to avoid using landfill whenever possible.
Volunteer Roles: Activity Coordinator – day trips and local activities
We require a volunteer to arrange day-trips, outings and visits to places of interest. Funding and some resources available.
Please note – All Volunteer Specifications are subject to approval and alterations.